Monday, April 2, 2012

Recording, 4-2-2012

Well, we've finished up the drum and bass tracks for the premier album. We started on the vocals, but have quite a bit of work to do. The instrumental tracks are coming along great even before editing, and the sound is even better than I was hoping for.

The drums were recorded in one night, using your average kit micing, as well as strategically placed room mics; 2 in the room, 2 in the hallway. Mike used his usual Lidwig kit with most of the same cymbals he's been using live, but has added some replacements to the cracked ones. All cymbals being Zildjian A Customs.

The bass tracks (up to 4 in some songs) were recorded in a semi-similar fashion. The "bass" sound is my '95 American Standard Precision bass or my Fender Hoppus bass (used mainly because it had fresher sounding strings towards the end) running through my Ampeg SVTII, and SVT810E cab. I used my modded TS-9DX on a few tracks, and my vintage Rat pedal was used for "BFA". These were recorded with 2 mics on the SVT810E, 2 room mics, as well as the DI from my SVTII.

The first "guitar" track, was the '95 Precission run into the Sovtek Mig 60 with my custom made 6x10 cab (with 6 Jensen C10Q's). This is the amp I used live until about 2 months ago. The last track(s) was (were) done with my '92 American Standard Fender Jazz Bass (with EMG J's) through my Orange Tiny Terror and Orange PPC112 cab. This gave a great higher tone with a nasally chunch that holds the mix together.

One track on the album has my modded Gretsch G5120 running through the Orange in the chorus' rhythm, otherwise the album is all bass, drums, and vocals. We're running right on schedule with this project, and hope to have a CD release party before mid-June.

No comments:

Post a Comment